In January 1215 a group of English barons demanded a charter of liberties and protection against arbitrary behavior by King John.
In May the barons took up up arms and captured London.
"By 10 June both parties met and held negotiations at Runnymede, a meadow by the River Thames. The concessions made by King John were outlined in a document known as the 'Articles of the Barons', to which the King's great seal was attached, and on 19 June the barons renewed their oaths of allegiance to the King. Meanwhile the royal chancery produced a formal royal grant, based on the agreements reached at Runnymede, which became known as Magna Carta (Latin for 'the Great Charter')."
Four copies of the original Magna Carta grant survive. Two from the library of Sir Robert Bruce Cotton are preserved in the British Library. The others are in the archives of Lincoln Cathedral and Salisbury Cathedral. According to contemporary chronicles, copies were sent out from the royal chancery to bishops, sheriffs and others throughout the land, but the exact number of copies distributed is unknown.
• The original text of Magna Carta was first printed from one of the Cottonian copies roughly 500 years later, in 1733, perhaps to safeguard the text. In 1731 one of Cotton's copies had been damaged in a fire which destroyed other manuscripts from Cotton's library then stored at Ashburnham House. The first edition was engraved and printed on vellum as a facsimile of the original by John Pine, an engraver and publisher of prints and illustrated books.
• You can view a virtual copy of Magna Carta at the British Library website at this link (accessed 05-17-2009).